This looks like the easiest recipe I found, not to mention doesn’t seem to have the usual 2 CUPS of butter (that’s 4 sticks people!) or mass amounts of sugar. I happen to have so many lemons from all of my friends and neighbors with trees a’busting that I have to make all kinds of crazy recipes to use them up.
Don’t forget trust lemon bars, lemon shortbread (a favorite, and SO easy!), lemon poppyseed cake, lemon muffins, lemon sorbet….the list can go on and on. I say, if it’s in season, that it’s time to use it! Hope you love the cookies. Because I’m a bit of a funk today, I reckon these little ditties bring me a little joy, and childlike rememberances of days not filled with…adult stuff and things.
GLAZED LEMON POPPYSEED COOKIES
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
Prep Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2 COOKIES: Cream the butter and sugar together using an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy.
- 3 Beat in the egg and lemon zest.
- 4 Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- 5 Stir in the poppy seeds with the mixer on low speed.
- 6 Drop dough by heaping teaspoon 2" apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- 7 Bake for 11-12 minutes, or until edges are lightly golden.
- 8 Cool on sheets for 1 minute; transfer cookies to wire racks and cool completely.
- 9 GLAZE: Combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl; mix well.
- 10 Drizzle glaze over cookies in a random or decorative pattern; let stand until glaze is set, about 20 minutes.